By HARRIET MUGO
A three-year-old boy’s love for his dad turned into a disaster after he accidentally burned their house as he prepared tea for his ailing father.
In the aftermath the boy’s family in Kirimunge village in Kirinyaga County spent the night in the cold after fire razed their house to the ground.
The fire broke out after the boy tried to prepare tea to be taken to his father who is hospitalized at Kerugoya Referral Hospital.
The boy’s mother Jane Achieng said she had gone to visit her husband John Kinyua in hospital when she received the news.
“I left my son with his grandmother to visit my husband in hospital. Luckily my son was not injured during the incident,” Achieng said.
The family however lost property of unknown value as their belongings were reduced to ashes in the inferno.
“I called for help as billows of smoke poured out of the house,” the boy’s ageing grandmother Tabitha Cioru added.
Fighting tears, the granny who is battling an age related condition, added that she was barely able to walk to the burning house. Quick action from villagers saved the boy’s life.
“We heard the grandmother’s frantic calls and dashed to the scene only to find the house on fire. We moved with speed and saved the boy,” a resident said.
Residents milled around the compound to support the family, even as they hailed the boy for his heart-warming act.
“The little boy had good intentions. He is a courageous son who has shown love for his father. Such little acts matter. We only need to sensitize our children on the dangers around them,” Jane Wambui, a neighbour, added.
Local leaders led by Kirinyaga Central Member of Parliament (MP) Gachoki Gitari have pledged to support the family. “The boy is a gentleman. We are glad that he was not injured. Let us pray for the father’s quick recovery so their family can be re-united,” Gitari said.