Hundreds of university and college students from Mt Kenya region have thrown their weight behind ODM leader Raila Odinga’s 2022 presidential bid in a declaration made from Kabiruini, Nyeri County.
Through their organization – Mt Kenya Colleges and Universities Student’s Association(M-CUSA) – the students through their chairman Steve Chege made several declaration top among them declaring “Raila Tosha” (Raila is enough).
Chege said the students had taken the bold step to endorse Raila because he was the safest bet for the country, describing him as a selfless patriot who is committed to the development of Kenya.
He said the students being the crème de la crème of the country and they have a patriotic duty to offer guidance when it is needed.
“We acknowledge that our parents back in the villages depend on us to guide them on which way to go in the upcoming general elections. This is not an easy task but we are willing to be the light and show the way. It is in this spirit that we have gathered here in this historic moment to deliberate on the way forward, interrogate our options and forge the right way going forward,’’ said Chege.
Below are the declarations the students made:
- We will not be used as tools to propagate incitement, violence or any other atrocities for the benefit of political warlords. Any politician intending to plunge the country into chaos to further their political agenda will have to do it themselves or send their own children.
- Political parties must give opportunities to students in the forthcoming elections and beyond. We have very able student leaders who have the capacity to serve the nation as members of county assembly, members of parliament and even senators. They must not be reduced to voting and mobilization machines.
- We offer our unwavering support to our president and commander-in-chief, His Excellency Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta, and acknowledge him as the sole legitimate kingpin and supreme leader of Mt Kenya region. Anyone else who parades as such is either equivocating, oblivious, delusional or building a castle in the sand.
- We endorse the Rt Honourable former Prime Minister Raila Amolo Odinga, Baba the 5th, as the only formidable presidential contender in the forthcoming general elections. It will be a race between one worthy contender and many pretenders. We already know the contender.
- Mt Kenya Colleges and Universities Students Association (M-CUSA) has organized to conduct campus tours in all major universities and colleges across the country to drum up support for the fifth president of the Republic of Kenya, Baba, and to foster unity among students in the spirit of Azimio la Umoja. This program will greatly impact the students and ensure that all students have a sense of development, unity and team work for the good of the country.